The original CHS building was built in 1922. It was a three story building with approximately 33,000 square feet under the roof. The building was approximately 127 feet long and 104 feet wide. The height of the build was 48 feet. There were over 160 windows, 18 exit doors, and approximately 22 classrooms. The building was heated with a boiler steam system that was very efficient at heating the 33,000 square foot area.
Located in the main entrance was a vestibule with stairs ascending to the second floor. In later years the vestibule and stairs were removed and the area was converted into the principal's office, a hall, and a locker room. The ceiling height on the first floor was 15 feet and 12 feet on the second and third floors.
The original building contained an auditorium that occupied the first and second floor. It was approximately 50 feet by 60 feet and contained a stage with a dressing room on either side. In later years the auditorium was converted into a Home Economics Department on the 1st floor and a library on the 2nd floor--the only part of the building that was not three stories.
The facade of the building was decorated with beautiful stone ornaments and a stone cornice completely surrounded the top of the building. Stone caps decorated the top of the building and in the center sat a 5' 6" decorative stone pillar.
By far Cecilia High School was the most beautiful high school building in the parish; she was the grand lady of the Teche. The original building stood where the new present day Cecilia Junior High stands today. The grounds were lavishly landscaped with native trees and exotic palms. The pictures on this page are of the old school and were taken by a construction company prior to the re-bricking of the original structure. The school was designed by the architectural firm of Nolan and Torre located in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The first graduating class of 1923 consisted of five graduates. The original building housed students in grades one through twelve. On October 25, 1980, the original Cecilia High School was destroyed by fire. A new high school on a twenty acre tract was under construction at the time that the fire destroyed the original building. The new school opened for the 1981-1982 school year and enrolled 663 students in grades nine through 12.